10 Reasons Why Mothers Are Superheroes
1. Having children or working with children automatically catapults you into Green Lantern status! You are gifted with a ‘power ring’ that grants the wearer incredible and incomprehensible powers.“In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight! Let those who worship evil’s might…Beware my power Green Lantern’s Light!” You might be a mom on the outside, but you are channeling Hal Jordan on the inside!
2. Pulling a splinter out of a moving target finger covered in blood or a fish hook out of an ear lobe, demands laser focus, nerves of steel and the agility of Spiderman.
3. Explaining the birds and the bees, where babies come from or answering questions about “down there” requires an expert vocabulary and a quick mind. One must discern how much the child really ‘needs’ to know or can even comprehend before you go too far with an explanation. Holy sex talk Batman!
4. Carrying a solid, 30-pound toddler through Carlsbad Cavern because they fell asleep just as you arrived, asks for herculean capabilities and the biceps of Thor!
5. Trying to get a two-year-old, six-year-old or thirteen year old to eat vegetables begs for the ingenuity of Captain America! After all….he’s handsome, healthy and in excellent shape.
6. Working all day, driving three kids to three different after school lessons, cooking dinner, baths, homework, preparation of breakfasts, lunches, signed permission slips, emergency stop for poster board and having a sense of humor demands none less than Wonder Woman!
7. Losing, then stepping on Barbie shoes; dropping a whole box of lego mini pieces; retrieving a credit card that slipped perilously down between the car seats….are all jobs for Ant-Man! We will need a sharp eye and tiny hands to handle these mini pieces and places.
8. Thinking of what your hands touch in one day…aqua-wise boggles the mind. Washing dishes, washing clothes, pee, drinks of water, spilled water, too much water, pee, pets’ water, baths, pee, watering the lawn etc. Then, of course, there are the trips to Seaworld, water parks, swimming pools ad nauseum. Aquaman is the king of all things aqua. He can breathe underwater, swim at tremendous speeds, and telepathically communicate with sea life.
9. Asking your child to do chores, clean their room, call if they’re going to be late or even look up from their phone evokes anger in we mothers. Sometimes it doesn’t take much to turn from Donna Reed to the Incredible Hulk! Don’t they see us slowing turning green?
10. Sometimes loving a child so deeply and intently hurts like being run over by a mack truck. We feel the pain yet we withstand it with superhuman powers. Like Superman, our love is more powerful than a locomotive and we believe in truth, justice, and the American way. The mom of steel just keeps on loving!